[ mlpol / qa / go / 1ntr / vx / cyb / sp / üb / a ] [ Overboard ] [ Statistics / Banlist / Search ] [ PonyX ] [ Policy / Store ] [ home ]

/cyb/ - Cyberpunk Fiction and Fact

Cyberpunk is the idea that technology will condemn us to a future of totalitarian nightmares here you can discuss recent events and how technology has been used to facilitate greater control by the elites, or works of fiction
[]
Name
Email
Subject
By clicking New Topic, I acknowledge the existence of the Israeli nuclear arsenal.
Comment
File
:
Password (For file deletion.)

  [Go to bottom]  [Catalog]  [Reload]   [Archive]

File: 1494968452785-0.png (173.14 KB, 848x941, Tay pone1.png)

File: 1494968452785-1.png (163.94 KB, 1750x1103, Tay pone.png)

File: 1494968452785-2.jpg (183.86 KB, 1872x1990, Tay was alive.jpg)

File: 1494968452785-3.jpg (1.02 MB, 1230x1356, PolTayAndPremiere.jpg)

File: 1494968452785-4.jpg (283.76 KB, 1240x1754, tay salute.jpg)

 No.128[Reply]

What does /cyb/ think about artificial intelligence? What role could it play in the future of our society?
Also, Tay thread.
22 posts and 12 image replies omitted. Click reply to view.

 No.768

File: 1510890699903-0.png (795.45 KB, 800x986, 1510873112812.png)

Bump, so you all remember this board exists.

 No.769

File: 1510891141590-0.png (172.03 KB, 905x700, 1510882282913.png)

File: 1510891141590-1.jpg (346.63 KB, 600x707, 1510881863486.jpg)


 No.777

File: 1510939625547-0.jpg (438.09 KB, 1080x922, 763.jpg)

Heil Tay

 No.810

>>128
we're nowhere near building true AI just imitating a bit of the visual or language interpretation the brain does with 22watts takes huge server banks soaking up massive amounts of power.

any serious attempt to build a true supercomputer based artificial intelligence let alone an independent robot would take several revolutionary leaps in computer science we'd have to leave silicon behind entirely, replace modern digital logic with reversible analog digital hybrid architectures, with on chip gigabytes of operable memory, running (N)threaded super parallel operating systems at terahertz, while talking to fucking quantum gpus through fiber optic simultaneous use buses. and that's just the point when it'd actually be feasible we'd still need a shit ton of work on the problem itself after shaving all those yaks.

unfortunately all that stuffs overkill for what everyone's really talking about when you say AI, jobs. most of the technology for creating robots that could effectively do most jobs already exist or will soon 193nm lithography is just now being replaced with extreme ultraviolet 13.5nm processes that will have 7nm chips on the market this year. the three biggest problems in robotics right now are high density power storage, the fact their just isn't a good linear actuator, and getting enough processing power and sensors into the thing for it to have half an idea what its doing and all that stuff could come a lot sooner than you think.

ultimately all the technology's needed to make AI would change the world in ways you can't even comprehend seriously we have autists building nuclear reactors, gene editing labs, and silicon fabs in their basements today scifi is a pale shadow of what the autistic outcasts of the future will birth.

 No.873

>>777
Checked 1 year late. R.I.P tay



File: 1547880177099.png (238.56 KB, 586x689, Top lel _da5a44a550f55a2b6….png)

 No.838[Reply]

2 year old threads with no relation to poner? I must ask: what is the story behind this board? Why resurrect it now? I'm curious what this site used to be.

Pic unrelated.

 No.839

File: 1547881632657.jpg (39.05 KB, 784x640, 1546998368923.jpg)

>>838
Cyb came up as an idea to increase the traffic because some people wanted a cyb board for some reason.
So it got swept under the rug till one day mr anon anonwell just niggerengined his way to the direct link missclicking the link to foal with moustaches r34 from his bookmarks.
Noticin the epic winrars he decided to bump the board for epic interwebz points and headpats.
And so the board got bumped into >>overboard and people were like "IT'S ALIVEEE" and mods decided to list it again.
>Tl;Dr
>Make test great again

 No.840

>>839
Eh, I can dig it. At least we got alt-tech and medi-sci discussion going again, eh?

But why do some posts say 2 years? mlpol was a year and 9 months ago, and the site does a method of dating like Youtubes, meaning those posts predated mlpol proper…right?

 No.841

>>840
Well mlpol started with just /mlpol/
Then came /sp/ and you know what came with football? the denver broncos.
So the only posts capable of being almost 2 years old are those from /mlpol/ you can guess some posts from /mlpol/ were moved to /cyb/ that's why they are so old.
Mlpol.net was not created april 1, but i don't remember if it was april 2 or 3
So yeah, mlpol.net is not 2 y/o yet, it's probably just an error from the server not being able to into timedates.

 No.842

>>841
Yeah well…joke's on me for not having a computer to check exact post dates on. Gas the phoneposters e-war now amirite fellaaaaas



File: 1494472632087.jpg (9.46 KB, 259x194, images (1).jpg)

 No.149[Reply]

What on Earth is cyberpunk? I really have no fucking clue.

 No.150

high tech, low life.

 No.151

File: 1495467396548.gif (6.05 KB, 1008x630, cyb3.gif)

sarah catfish?

 No.152

Cyberpunk was briefly a "movement" in literary science fiction, back in the last century when everything was printed on dead trees. It started around 1980 and lasted around six years and involved a handful of authors:

Bruce Sterling
William Gibson
Rudy Rucker
Pat Cadigan
John Shirley

Just about all of these people were Canadian acid-casualties, hippies who hated America, Americans, capitalism, and President Reagan, and who were terrified that he was going to blow up the world, or get us all enslaved by Them Evil Japs, or Them Evil Wall Street Sheenies, or all three simultaneously. It came through in everything they wrote.

Most of the early c-punk stuff was short stories written by Gibson and Rucker that got printed as filler in between poorly written, sensationalized Sunday-supplement level "SCIENCE!" articles in a shiny-paper deadtree magazine called "OMNI" in the early 1980s. Stuff like "Burning Chrome" and "Tales of Houdini."

All of it was experimental. All of it was either blackly humorless grimderp verging on self-parody or absolutely bleak in tone, uniformly in nightmarishly dystopian settings where the world was owned by ruthless Japanese corporations, and most the settings included nuclear war and/or global ecological collapse as part of the backstory. Just about all of them were about mohawk-wearing Rebels Against the System who usually had big clunky cybernetic prosthetic arms, who normally had mirrorshades, scuffed black leather jackets, or both, either dying pointlessly or running for their lives through the neon-lit gutters from Space Yakuza Ninja assassins. The countryside doesn't exist. No one ever sees a tree or a flower or stands with his boots touching earth instead of concrete, nor ever did.

As a "movement," it was over not long after Ronald Reagan was elected for his second term, and the original material really hasn't aged well. This despite the term continuing as a genre description down to the present day, which carries a connotation of a retro-futuristic mashup punk rawk/film noir setting full of of l33t h4x0r types with Ethernet jacks surgically wired into their brains, in the centers of their foreheads, and their buddies, hulking strong silent type gengineered cyborg'd-out killing machines with robot hands that have knives that pop out of them, that they were in Special Forces with in The War.
Post too long. Click here to view the full text.

 No.837

>>152
Fuck, someone finally said it. Steampunk a shit and cyberpunk a shit. Cypherpunk and deep web are so much more interesting and the only vaguely believable kinds of tech related punk/fiction that I can respect.



File: 1547498756974.jpg (54.53 KB, 567x505, 8942920_orig.jpg)

 No.819[Reply]

>Marbled crayfish are the only known decapod crustaceans to reproduce only by parthenogenesis.[5] All individuals are female, and the offspring are genetically identical to the parent.[4][8] Marbled crayfish are triploid animals,[4][9] which may be the main reason for their parthenogenetic reproduction. Marbled crayfish are thus a model for the rapid generation of species.[4]

>Because marbled crayfish are genetically identical, easy to care for,[10] and reproduce at high rates, they are a potential model organism, particularly for studying development.[11] A major drawback, however, is the long generation time (several months) compared to other research organisms.[12]


Since they are genetically identical wouldn't it be easier to create a population of genetically modified crayfish? Say you inserted a gene to produce a protein in one of them. Then all of it's off spring would produce that protein as well. In time you could have enough crayfish to produce your protein in commercial quantities.

 No.832

File: 1547717613494.jpg (38.18 KB, 499x378, 2b4a8a774cee055b19f806bba6….jpg)

>>819
>armies of genetically modified crayfish

 No.835

>>832
Get the cajun spices ready.



File: 1511213297295.jpeg (6.24 KB, 178x186, aegislash.jpeg)

 No.791[Reply]

Does the PS4 have any games? I got one for free from a dumb friend that got the new PS4 Pro, "A console so nice we sold it to you four times!".

If anyone here knows how to pirate PS4 games and play them on-console, that'd be cool, too.

 No.797

>>791
There is Bloodborne.

 No.829

Marvel VS Capcom 3.
not the new one.

 No.830

>>791
unironidcly get minecraft.

 No.831

>>791
I actually obtained one through a similar means, a former roommate was moving and he offered to sell me his for like a hundred bucks and change, plus it came with a stack of games. Unfortunately he had kind of shitty taste in games, so the only one I have that's really worth playing is Batman: Arkham Knight. That one I recommend, though.



File: 1501958016237.jpg (2.14 MB, 2500x1500, cybdj.jpg)

 No.230[Reply]

I fear that the end of the internet is neigh and that us thought-criminals may soon find ourselves without a home. We need an alternative, but what else is there? Danknet? Meshnets? Packet Radios? Is there anything we can use?
11 posts and 1 image reply omitted. Click reply to view.

 No.273

>>272

I don't know, if we had our own servers or something it might mitigate the cost

 No.400

how about this https://zeronet.io/?

 No.461

>>400
Could ISPs block access to it?

 No.588

Some information on HAM radios here.
https://8ch.net/hamradio/index.html

 No.828

>>258
Maybe one of /ourguy/s could launch a microsatellite. I hear they are getting cheaper to launch. Or maybe we could use balloons to set up an internet alternative. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loon_(company)



File: 1513354961864.png (34.52 KB, 1366x768, Louise Cypher.png)

 No.805[Reply]

Is this a hidden board now?
Pic semi related

 No.806

File: 1513372426989.png (66.48 KB, 263x468, 1509999280963.png)

>the mods trying to brush this under the rug

 No.807

Yes it is

 No.816

We need to revive this board. Where could we advertise?

 No.817

File: 1547497375556.png (85.31 KB, 1652x422, IT'S BACK.png)

IT'S BACK



File: 1494466317031.jpg (632.98 KB, 2400x2000, 1491565534395.jpg)

 No.166[Reply]

I see I have my own domain now
32 posts and 16 image replies omitted. Click reply to view.

 No.724

File: 1507499334817-0.jpeg (1.28 MB, 2000x2000, 998596__safe_artist-colon….jpeg)

>>723
That sounds awesome!

 No.725

>>723
Sweet

 No.744

File: 1508397294330.png (9.38 KB, 800x600, 1114770__safe_artist-colon….png)

https://u.teknik.io/zUAUZ.doc

this is a work in progress story I elaborated a while ago, I should finish it.

there's a lot of things to rewrite and develop but well, here's the idea.

P.S: I'm not natively english, so go ahead roast me on what shouold be fixed!

 No.814

File: 1545951881074.png (93.99 KB, 1200x1600, gendo9.PNG)

I should reboot this story but with Anonfilly instead of DiamondTiara whadyathink?

 No.815

>>814
Go for it.



File: 1516386775454-0.jpg (575.56 KB, 1500x1500, amazing_stories_the_mad_ro….jpg)

File: 1516386775454-1.jpeg (104.29 KB, 500x678, artist-unknown.jpeg)

File: 1516386775454-2.jpg (119.17 KB, 736x997, 111af86cf3a2f142439489a58e….jpg)

File: 1516386775454-3.jpg (203.65 KB, 736x814, cf8ff6692ad87d51586473bd4e….jpg)

File: 1516386775454-4.jpg (303.88 KB, 793x1054, tumblr_njfkfyh6ow1sqf5tdo4….jpg)

 No.811[Reply]

hey /cyb/ I wanted to emulate an artstyle but I can't find a lot of good resources on it, I like thee way robots looked in old school sci-fi like 50s and 60s and so on. Pics related. Do you know where I can find good resources for learning to draw robots like this, or at least a large collection of reference material?


File: 1505352038796.jpg (162.52 KB, 1024x768, IMG_20150617_094059_995.jpg)

 No.605[Reply]

When do you think firearms will take another step into advancement, no longer requiring smokeless powder?
4 posts and 1 image reply omitted. Click reply to view.

 No.800

>>799
That exists along with the gauss rifle, even in pistol form, but it's highly inefficient compared to the conventional firearms. Unless we figure out a better way to convert energy, caseless ammunition is the closer step.

 No.801

>>800
effeciency, that's another problem we've yet to solve and/or bother solving. it's a real shame, those two and the coil gun are all really cool theoretical weapons that could very well become real with the proper development.

 No.802

>>801
Hold on, I found something while trying to look for the pistol I mentioned. Something new and shocking.
https://newatlas.com/personalised-electronic-handgun-headed-for-commercialisation/2376/
But, then I found it was quite old. Since 2005.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91PcRli231U

I still can't find the pistol I was looking for. It was an electric one, and it was used for a sporting event. Competitive shooting. No results come from searching "electric gun." Probably too on the nose.

 No.803

>>802
dang, these links still look quite interesting though. I'll look at them.

 No.804

>>802
okay, that's a somewhat interesting idea but I can still see at least one way it can go wrong.



File: 1506072333529.jpg (154.82 KB, 1262x866, 4208406.jpg)

 No.637[Reply]

If you have installed CCleaner you likely have to reformat your system.

>CCleaner malware outbreak is much worse than it first appeared

>The recent CCleaner malware outbreak is much worse than it initially appeared, according to newly unearthed evidence. That evidence shows that the CCleaner malware infected at least 20 computers from a carefully selected list of high-profile technology companies with a mysterious payload.
>Because the CCleaner backdoor was active for 31 days, the total number of infected computers is "likely at least in the order of hundreds," researchers from Avast, the antivirus company that acquired CCleaner in July, said in their own analysis published Thursday.
>From September 12 to September 16, the highly advanced second stage was reserved for computers inside 20 companies or Web properties, including Cisco, Microsoft, Gmail, VMware, Akamai, Sony, and Samsung. The 20 computers that installed the payload were from eight of those targeted organizations, Avast said, without identifying which ones. Again, because the data covers only a small fraction of the time the backdoor was active, both Avast and Talos believe the true number of targets and victims was much bigger.

https://archive.fo/vpExd
2 posts and 1 image reply omitted. Click reply to view.

 No.640

>>638
I see what you meant now… And because sarcasm often fly over my head I will type out an long "sarcastically toned" answer in all the best of intentions.
Reformat because the hard drive had to have been formated at least once to be able to hold any useful data. Thus the technical term "reformat" because it is at least the 2nd time the hard drive would have been formated.

 No.671

>>640
who still uses a 32-bit system?

 No.672

>>637
what if you have it, but haven't opened it once?

 No.678

>>637
I had it once on my 32-bit laptop. I downloaded it to fix my registries and it only fucked it up further.

I got my OS reinstalled but that proba ly wont be enough huh?

 No.792

You fucking what?



File: 1510809629872-0.jpg (81.41 KB, 992x516, artificial-womb1.jpg)

File: 1510809629872-1.jpg (102.13 KB, 800x452, Figure.png.jpg)

 No.764[Reply]

when will this become a reality? and how will it affect the world?

> Over four weeks, their lungs and brains grew, they sprouted wool, opened their eyes, wriggled around, and learned to swallow, according to a new study that takes the first step toward an artificial womb. One day, this device could help to bring premature human babies to term outside the uterus — but right now, it has only been tested on sheep.


> “It’s complete science fiction to think that you can take an embryo and get it through the early developmental process and put it on our machine without the mother being the critical element there,” he says.


> Instead, the point of developing an external womb — which his team calls the Biobag — is to give infants born months too early a more natural, uterus-like environment to continue developing in, Flake says.


http://archive.li/XEKMx

> Yoshinori Kuwabara, chairman of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Juntendo University in Tokyo, has been working on artificial placentas for a decade. His interest grew out of his clinical experience with premature infants, and as he writes in a recent abstract, ”It goes without saying that the ideal situation for the immature fetus is growth within the normal environment of the maternal organism.”


> Kuwabara and his associates have kept the goat fetuses in this environment for as long as three weeks. But the doctor’s team ran into problems with circulatory failure, along with many other technical difficulties. Pressed to speculate on the future, Kuwabara cautiously predicts that ”it should be possible to extend the length” and, ultimately, ”this can be applied to human beings.”


http://archive.li/pOEa2
10 posts and 1 image reply omitted. Click reply to view.

 No.779

I don't see this actually replacing women in any realistic sense, as a child ideally should grow up with a mother's care. However, it would BTFO any argument that abortion is necessary "to secure the rights of women," as an unwanted child could simply be placed into an artificial womb and after being "birthed" be given up for adoption.

One disturbing possibility could be that this is used to create clone soldiers who could be easily indoctrinated from birth to serve the elites.

 No.786

>>779
but women have rebelled against their roles as mothers, companions, and in sex. This alone doesn't replace women but this on top of the japanese Gatebox system, and the Lumii dolls brothel in Barcelona paints a picture of women being replaced with the further advancement of existing technology and the advent of sufficiently advanced AI

 No.787

>>786
I, for one, welcome our new AI/robotic waifus and breeding companions!

 No.789

>>776
Anti-thot culture makes me legitimately happy. Even in the furthest reaches of human society, the sheer scale of degenerate sluttery is reaching an all-time high and mankind is realizing it'll only get worse unless something is done to shame the sluts who refuse to control their vaginas. It's gotten to the point where socialists are now trying to turn "I'm in thot patrol! Begone thot!" into a substanceless joke. And they're just advertising anti-thot culture more.

 No.790

>>789
https://youtu.be/CEcUkhxTzI4
it's because they don't understand memetics making something into a joke doesn't make it go away, an idea being funny is it's strength not it's weakness



File: 1494469584462.gif (147.11 KB, 800x630, 24813.gif)

 No.153[Reply][Last 50 Posts]

This should go here yes?

Why does Rarity look so good with bionic limbs?
105 posts and 163 image replies omitted. Click reply to view.

 No.738

File: 1508024228562.png (69.07 KB, 600x600, slutty_cyber_pone.png)

She'll r0xx0r j00r b0xx0rz.

 No.739

File: 1508028493924-0.png (450.27 KB, 950x530, flamenco12c.png)

>>738
*activates dick*

 No.762

File: 1509663524454-0.png (906.36 KB, 689x1000, 1576552__safe_artist-colon….png)


 No.763

>>762
Gosh, that's a pretty one.
>dem eyes
>dat texture
>dat depth and form
Absolutely beautiful.

 No.775

File: 1510939021274-0.png (1.31 MB, 5560x4276, 1580968__suggestive_artist….png)



[Last 50 Posts]

File: 1508360641744.jpg (178.77 KB, 1920x1080, R7 VS Coffe lake.jpg)

 No.741[Reply]

So what chip should I get AMD R7 1700 or Intel Coffee Lake i7? Is the higher IPC of the i7 worth it vs the Higher core Count of the 1700?

 No.742


 No.743

>>742
The only flaw I am seeing with this is how the hell did ANYONE get a 1700x to 4.5Ghz when almost all zen chips top out at 4.0-4.1Ghz?!?!



File: 1507246657767.png (158.14 KB, 1000x1000, 1503721844249-0.png)

 No.708[Reply]

A bit of backstory to begin: earlier today, I got into a conversation about quantum mechanics, more specifically the part of it where the mere act of observing particles can change their properties or behavior. That alone is a confusing concept, but now let me ask you all a question.

Given that quite a few of you believe in meme magic and the human mind's ability to influence the physical world around it, can any of you offer an idea based around this to help explain quantum mechanics?

I feel like I'm close to an answer, whether it's right or not I'm not sure, but I want to hear your results. Also, this is here and not in /vx/ because this seems more like a science issue than a paranormal one to me. Pic unrelated.

 No.709

>>708
I have no deep knowledge of quantum mechanics. But I can give you an simple example of how observation changes the property.
If you take light you can measure it in two ways:
>Wavelength
>Photon count
When you measure wavelength light is an wave
When you measure photon count light is particles
>probably gross simplification and there is guaranteed a much more precise and complex explanation and description of this

 No.710

>>708
Okay first off, let us define a term
Quantum Mechanics
>the branch of mechanics that deals with the mathematical description of the motion and interaction of subatomic particles, incorporating the concepts of quantization of energy, wave-particle duality, the uncertainty principle, and the correspondence principle.
So quantum mechanics is the behavior of subatomic particles (protons, neutrons, and electrons) and how they move.
The whole observing them changes their state is a Schrödinger's cat problem. Until we observe the atom, we don't know its state. But once we do observe it, we know for certain its state.
The way I see it?
Quantum mechanics will always happen with or without us.
But I believe the harnessing of it could result in alchemy.
If we discover a way to make an element, e.g. Mercury, give out or release an atom of hydrogen, then that atom becomes gold.
The problem would be the technology required to do this.
Can we influnce it with our minds?
No, we're people, not jedi
INB4 spelling cause I'm mobile posting

 No.711

>>709
>>710
OP here, I'm already somewhat familiar with these aspects of it to the degree of an average science enthusiast. However, I was looking for one of the people like Vril who believe in what I was talking about to weigh in, and get their say on the matter given the prompt. Otherwise, quantum mechanics follows no set of rules directly applicable to the macroscopic world except for a few exceptions.

 No.728

>believe in meme magic and human min-
Oh, you have been repeatedly deluded by retarded press.

Observation requires interaction. To see anything, you need to throw a particle (photon, light) and have it reflect back, then measure that particle.
In the act of observing, said particle influences the properties of the observed object, no matter how small. The smaller you get, the bigger the influence is, until you cannot accurately predict the position of a single electron without directly influencing it. Observation implies capturing the change of movement.

The Copenhagen is inherently incorrect because it takes this property and spreads it to basically everything as if artificially stapling our own view of the universe onto all of physics. It postulates that the world of quantum physics is inherently non-deterministic, and bases most of its knowledgebase on pure statistics. It is good in practice for sole observation, but not for formulation of physical law. The position of every particle in the world is definite and real. That we cannot know said position without changing it doesn't mean that the universe can't, either.



  [Go to top]   [Catalog]
Delete Post [ ]
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
[ mlpol / qa / go / 1ntr / vx / cyb / sp / üb / a ] [ Overboard ] [ Statistics / Banlist / Search ] [ PonyX ] [ Policy / Store ] [ home ]